This website used to be served from Ghost, running on a Digital Ocean VPS. A few weeks ago, I discovered that I was having database problems and that my site was broken. While it was fairly easy to repair, I’m on call for software at my day job and I don’t want to have fix software in my personal time – unless it’s for fun, of course. But there’s a difference between fixing something as play, where it can stay broken with no harm done, and fixing something that you want to use for something else right now.

As it happens, the time when I’m most likely to discover that my website is down is when I actually want to write something. So away from dynamically generated pages and back to a static site generator I go. Yes, it introduces a bit more friction when publishing (but only marginally) and the overall trade-off is worth it.

I’ve used Jekyll and Gatsby in the past, but this time around I’m going to give Hugo a try. I’ll probably try to build my own theme over time, but for now the excellent Terminal theme suits me fine.